Discover Athens in the comfort of a small group semi-private shore excursion with your licensed English speaking tour guide
For small groups
If you are arriving in Athens (Piraeus) on a cruise ship, then you just visited the right place! Splendid Greece Tours cater exclusively for small groups this semi-private tour guided by a licensed tour guide, traveling in a luxury Mercedes minibus fully air-conditioned. This allows you to relax, see, and enjoy much more of the fantastic city. Explore thoroughly Athens’ nature, history, culture, myths, geology, and beauty. For the discerning traveler; taking the essence and soul of ‘The Golden Age of Athens’ is a very special experience.
Highlights of the Riveting Athens Small-Group Semi-Private 8-H Shore Excursion
- Eight-hour guided tour in Athens by luxurious minivan
- English-speaking tour guide with an official license by the state
- Your tour begins as soon as your cruise ship arrives at the port of Piraeus
- Visit the Acropolis, the Parthenon, and the New Museum of Acropolis
- Enjoy a walk in the picturesque neighborhood of Plaka
A detailed description of the guided shore excursion in Athens
Your guide will be at Piraeus cruise port waiting for you with a sign. Starting from Piraeus, a detailed tour will be held out, by the professional English speaking tour guide that will be accompanying you.
You will stop and visit: the Acropolis; the Parthenon, the Propylaea, the Temple of Athena Nike, the Erechtheion, the Caryatides, the Herodion theatre, the ruins of the Theatre of Dionysus, and Areopagus (the Mars Hill).
Next, you will visit the Temple of Olympian Zeus and the Panathenaic Stadium (the first modern Olympic Games in 1896) for a short break to take photos there.
Then we’ll visit the Lycabettus hill, the presidential house (ex-royal palace), the Academy, the National Library and the ancient University of Athens, the tomb of the unknown soldier, the changing of the guards, and the Hellenic Parliament (ex-king Oto s royal palace). The ancient Greek Agora, in other words, the center of the athletic, political, and spiritual life of the ancient Greek city-state will be the next place for you to visit.
Time to visit now the picturesque alleys of Plaka and some free time to taste the delicious traditional Greek cuisine will follow. After lunch, you will visit the Acropolis Museum *. The Acropolis museum is one of the most extraordinary museums of the city. Visiting the Acropolis Museum will definitely be a lifetime experience for you. For the last 6 years it’s been voted as the best museum in the world for one subject.
- Available from May to October every year.
- Small groups – Book on time. Limited availability!
Price: 65.00€ per person
* On Mondays the visit to The New Acropolis Museum is replaced by a visit to the National Archaeological Museum, the largest archaeological museum in Greece and one of the most important museums in the world ted to ancient Greek art.
What is not included in the tour
- Entrance fees per person: 30,00 Euros in total for the archaeological sites in Athens (Acropolis, Greek Agora, Theatre of Dionysos, Kerameikos, Temple of Zeus, Roman Agora, Tower of Winds), and 5,00 Euros for the New Acropolis Museum.
- Children under the age of eighteen (18) do not pay entrance fees.
- Lunch in Plaka is optional
Shared tours cancellation policy
- Shared tour bookings canceled up to 7 days prior to the agreed date and time receive a full refund.
- 100% cancellation fees apply for any tour bookings canceled within the last 7 days prior to the arrival date.
- Of course, if for any unforeseen reason the ship does not dock at the port, then there will be a full refund.
- Shore Excursion – Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
- A professional driver with good knowledge of the history and culture of Greece
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based on availability (for multiple-day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Free Pick-up & drop off from Piraeus cruise port
- First-class transport: By Mercedes E-Class or similar; Mercedes minivan or Mercedes minibus according to the size of your party. All new models with full leather and A/C.
- Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
- The private tour is 100% exclusive for your party
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Athens Airport transfer: arranged on request with a surcharge
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost.
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of the tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi, and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-soled walking shoes, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours: Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18: International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August, and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM – 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM – 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed