According to Greek mythology, the founder of the city was a son of Zeus called Lacedaemon. He gave his name to the region (Lacedaemonia or Laconia) and his wife’s name to the city, Sparta. Sparta; The little city state that fascinated the Greeks!
The History describes the destiny of the ancient Dorian Greek state known as Sparta from its beginning in the legendary period throughout the Archaic and Classical periods. Sparta was famous for its military prowess. Spartans; The best citizen soldiers the world has ever known and probably most feared fighters in Greece, fighting with distinction at such key battles as Thermopylae and Plataea in the early 5th century BC.
As was written by the Athenian philosopher Xenophon; [Sparta was everywhere admired and nowhere imitated.]
Highlights of the best of Sparta legends full day private tour
- The famous Corinth canal
- Experienced English-speaking tour driver
- Visit the Acropolis of Sparta, the theater
- Statue of Leonidas
|Drive & See||Stop | Walking & Visit|
|Athens | Elefsina | Ag. Apostoloi | Kineta | Corinth canal Sparta | Mystras||Corinth canal | Sparta | Mystras|
There are 4 top thinks to visit and do in Sparta;
- See the statue of King Leonidas
- Visit the archaeological site of ancient Sparta
- Visit the Greek olive and olive oil museum or the archaeological museum
- Visit the famous Mystras
Drive the cost line of the Saronic Golf to reach after 50 minutes the Corinth canal. Short stop to take some of your best shots of your tour and to admire the breath taking views of the canal!
Continue our private tour traveling through the impressive landscape of western Peloponnese towards Sparta. At first visit the impressive King Leonidas statue standing just a few meters north the archaeological site of Sparta. Leonidas was the legendary king of ancient Sparta (battle of Thermopylae 5th century BC. See the movie “300”). Almost next to the statue lies the hill of the acropolis. Visit the ruins of the 2nd-century B.C theater, one of the largest theaters in Ancient Greece, but unfortunately most of the stones from the site were later scavenged and used in subsequent construction projects. This statue is a testament to the fading ruins of the Spartan legacy. Take some pictures and visit the Sparta Lakedemonia archaeological site great in Greek history! Sparta is second only to Athens in terms of historical significance. Do not miss to visit the archeological museum of Sparta full of ancient artifacts. Open daily (except Tuesdays) from 8:30am-3pm.
In case you want to visit the Greek olive and olive oil museum you will discover all there is to know about olive oil, an important staple of Greek life. Open on Wednesday-Monday from 10am-6pm.
It is time now to taste some local dishes! Sparta isn’t very big so there are only a few favorite place for locals hotspot, which features Lakonian specialties.
After time for lunch you will visit Mystras witch together with Sparta it’s called; the ‘Wonder of the Morea’. Here visit the monasteries in the castle and admire the breath taking views of Sparta. These Byzantine ruins are one of the best and most important places during the byzantine empire! Visit one of the many Byzantine churches, the impressive fortress and hike around the area. Mystras is considered the biggest attraction in the region. Open daily from 8am-8pm.
Return to Athens where one of the most interesting ancient & Christian Greece Tours ends.
Notice: There are people say that there is no much to see in Sparta. Well, all I can say to you is that, there is no shortage of things to do in Sparta, like excursions to take, or impressive places to eat. Most travelers skip Sparta as it’s out of the way, as they say, but be sure that you can get all the history of Greece without the tourist crowds of Athens. If you want to feel the power of Sparta, I wouldn’t suggest skipping this experience! You will be very rewarded, giving you the chance to explore Greece skipping crowds!
- Shore Excursion – Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
- Professional driver with good knowledge in history and culture of Greece
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Free Pick-up & drop off from Piraeus cruise port
- First class transport: By Mercedes E-Class or similar; Mercedes minivan or Mercedes minibus accordingto the size of your party . All new models with full leather and A/C.
- Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
- The private tour is 100% exclusive for your party
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Athens Airport transfer: arranged on request with a surcharge
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost.
- Dress:religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis,the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours: Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter:November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees:Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees:Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM – 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM – 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed
Here celebrate the glory of ancient and new, in this gallery of images of the original fields of dreams >>>